Re: Physical Database Layouts

From: <gmei_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 19:48:45 GMT

Chose Option1. You do not want to mix oracle software with your application (SID) stuff.

So oracle software should be installed in /disk1/...

all SID related files (xxxx.dbf) should be in /disk2/, /disk3/ and /disk4/.. etc.

initSID.ora file will be in $ORACLE_HOME/admin/pfile/ which is on /disk1/

Hope this helps.

Guang

In article <39B58131.DFB73D53_at_ncsu.edu>,   Troy Simpson <Troy_Simpson_at_ncsu.edu> wrote:
> I am working on installing Oracle 8.1.6 on a Sun Solaris System and
 need
> some advise on the Physical Database Layout.
>
> I am following the Optimal Flexible Architecture ( OFA ) as best as I
> can and as well as I understand it.
> So far I have seen two layouts. The first layout creates a directory
 of
> each phyiscal disk and mirrors the directory structure on each disk.
> The files are not mirrored, just the directory structure. For
 example:
> /disk1/oradata/...
> /disk2/oradata/...
> /disk3/oradata/...
> /disk4/oradata/...
>
> 1. The Oracle Software and config files may be located on
> /disk1/admin/<sid>/...,
> /disk1/<orahome>/...,
> /disk1/oradata/<sid>/...
>
> 2. The System tablespace and a control file may be located on disk2.
> /disk2/oradata/<sid>/system01.dbf
> /disk2/oradata/<sid>/control01.ctl.
>
> 3. The RBS, TEMP, and TOOLS tablespaces and a control file may be
> located on /disk3.
> /disk3/oradata/<sid>/RBS01.dbf
> /disk3/oradata/<sid>/TEMP.dbf
> /disk3/oradata/<sid>/TOOLS.dbf
> /disk3/oradata/<sid>/control02.ctl
> etc.
>
> The second layout mounts disks under the main directory while
> maintaining one directory structure.
> For example:
> /Oracle/<orahome>/... ( disk1 mounted here )
>
> /Oracle/admin/<sid>/disk2/... ( disk2 mounted here )
>
> /Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk3/archive/... ( disk3 mounted here )
>
> /Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk4/... ( disk4 mounted here )
> /Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk4/Temp/...
> /Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk4/RBS/...
> /Oracle/oradata<sid>/disk4/TOOLS/...
>
> etc. or something like this.
>
> Please advise me of the most appropriate solution. Right not we are
> limited to 4 to 7 physical disk and trying to get more. At the start
> our database environment will be small but will grow.
>
> Sincerely,
> Troy
>
> --
> Troy Simpson | North Carolina State University
> NCSU Libraries | Campus Box 7111 | Raleigh | North Carolina
> ph.919.515.3855 | fax.919.513.3330

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 07 2000 - 14:48:45 CDT