Re: Linux/FreeBSD Install Ques..

From: Alexander Penev <alex_at_cska.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:35:51 +0200

> > You need at least 128RAM to install 8i (recommended 256)
> >

> Bummer. Thanks for the info though.
>
> Is there a location where I can actually >find< the requirements for
> Oracle. I have looked on their website (heaven forbid it's in product
> literature) and also two books - including one dubbed as 'the most
> comprehensive reference to oracle 8'. I looked at the first few
> chapters on installing and also in the index and found nothing.

take a look at http://www.oralinux.org
There is also a FreeBSD section.
For the system requerements make a quick search of this news group at deja.com. The question was answered many times, but the main issue is the amount of ram (the requerements are somewhere in the ora docs but don't ask me where exactly ;-) . It's some kind of java issue (installer runs java) You can use the following trick: Take some ram from another pc, plug it in the linux box, make sure they are recognized by the kernel and run the installation. After you have installed your db you can take the ram out of the box. The database itself runs witn 64, no problem at all. The installation process is the only problem