Re: An Odd Situ, please help

From: Tony Wang <Tonywzt_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:04:11 GMT

Thanks Frank for you hints. At least I was confirmed that Oracle is configurable to handle 2 IPs. If possible, please give some more detailed instructions please.

Tony

"Frank van Bortel" <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl> wrote in message news:8odllq$ca1$1_at_porthos.nl.uu.net...
> 1st of all, why do you have clients that connect by IP#?
> Do they use different names, or is it realy by IP#?

I have only experiences in using TCP/IP to connect all my clients to the sever. As a few of the stations in my group running Unix , am not sure if I can
use any other protocols to connect them.

> Anyway, you could change tnsnames.ora to use ip addresses as well,
> and even use different aliases for the different ip addresses.

I will try it.

> There must be a reason for those 2 nics, i suspect network traffic. Better
> set up 2 different listener addresses as well, or even better: 2
listeners.

I know it sounds Odd and nothing to do with trafic balancing at all here. What I am doing is create a redundant (smaller) network to connect a group of about 20 stations (NT & SCO Unix) within a large network so that it can take charge in case the larger network is down. I do not figured out any better
solutions for the group that needs a 7x24 network service. And we often lost the connection with the domain controller in the large network.