Re: Can not install online help in 8i

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:04:10 GMT

In article <8o6ma5$i50$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sadenwala_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> David,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate it.
>
> There are no log files generated as you expected. In fact, there are
 no
> control files in $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/help. I can only see
> helpbld.sql, helpus.sql and helpdrop.sql.
>
> I searched the installation CD that I used for installing 8i on this
> SUN box, and there are no control files.
>
> Also, there are no sqlldr commands in the helpins shell. So it does
 not
> look like if any sqlload occurred at all while I ran helpins.
>
> In my older 8.0.6 installation on another box, I DO see the *.ctl
 files
> and the helpins shell does have sqlldr commands. Based on your
> response, now I can see why I did not get to use SQL help (as opposed
> SQL*PLUS help).
>
> I thought of bringing the *.ctl and helpins from my 8.0.6 installation
> over, but I will get help related to 8.0.6 version and not 8.1.6.
>
> If you see the SQL reference manual (hard copy), the syntax notation
> has greatly changed. Do you think Oracle 8i may have discontined to
> have online SQL help?
>
> I hope not..
>
> thanks again.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

It is quite apparent that the on-line help facility has changed for 8i.  I have no helpus.sql file, but I do have the sqlload.ctl, plshelp.ctl and plushelp.ctl files; also, my copy of 'helpins' includes the sqlldr invocation to load the relevant data. It may be that Oracle has discontinued the more extensive on-line help with the advent of 8i, especially since the functionality has increased over 8. (I must admit that I am currently at a site where 8 is the norm, not 8i.)

You COULD migrate the help from 8 over to your 8i box, but you would most likely have to edit the *.ctl files to include the relevant additions to the various commands, a daunting task, at best.

It may be that you'll have to live without the on-line help as you knew it.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA