Re: NT Server

From: Jay M. Scheiner <jxs_at_wolpoff_nospm_law.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:20:59 GMT

From the MS website, NT 4 workstation end user license agreement: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q226/7/70.ASP It appears to forbid connection pooling as a workaround.

As I stated elsewhere on this newsgroup, I think that this is a BS limit by MS to get more $ by making you buy server rather than workstation. For a long time there were few technical differences between the 2 (server came with domain utilities, etc). If you are having performance problems, I expect it is with your oracle config, not the OS.

Systems Software. You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single computer. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on the single computer running the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may install the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single computer ("Workstation Computer") for use as interactive workstation software, but not as server software. However, you may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers to connect to the Workstation Computer to access and use services of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, such as file and print services and peer web services. The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections.

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:40:22 +0200, "Uni Mannheim" <cuske_at_rumms.uni-mannheim.de> wrote:

>thank you very much for the hints, I had already guessed that using NT
>Server
>might cause too much overhead, but is there really a limitation of tcp
>connections
>on workstation?
>Does Net8 use any pooling mechanism or is the system thereby restricted to
>10 concurrent users?
>The reason for asking is that we have been developing our application on
>Oracle 8.0.5 E
>on NT workstation and since two weeks or so, the system's performance has
>decreased by at least
>200% with some PL/SQL procedures. And nothing has really changed, only lets
>say 200 instead of 150 Meg of data,
>and four insted of 2 users. And we seem to not be able to find any ressource
>which is exhausted.
>
>thanks again,
>christian
>

>"Jay M. Scheiner" <jxs_at_wolpoff_nospm_law.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I believe that MS limits Workstation to 10 incoming TCP connections.
>> They first did this when Netscape was trying to sell its web server
>> for workstation while IIS came w/NT server.
>>

>> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:22:55 +0200, Roger Palmen
>> <r.palmen.ani_at_alewijnse.nl> wrote:
>>
>> >My experience learns that NT-Workstation does support SMP. Have it
 sitting
>> >under my desk.
>> >
>> >But back to main question: dont install anything you don't need: no PDC /
>> >BDC / other NT-Server services needed? -> take Workstation.
>> >

>> >Roger Palmen
>> >Alewijnse Nijmegen Industry
>> >Oracle DBO

>> _______________
>> Jay M. Scheiner
>> Programmer/Analyst
>> Wolpoff & Abramson, LLP
>> remove _nospm_ from email address
>> Opinions are my own only!

Jay M. Scheiner
Programmer/Analyst
Wolpoff & Abramson, LLP
remove _nospm_ from email address
Opinions are my own only! Received on Mon Aug 21 2000 - 08:20:59 CDT