Re: How to create a new instance on Oracle-8.0.5 for Linux ?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 06:13:25 GMT

In article <399dc54f_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,   "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

> "Samuel Tran" <stran_at_immostreet.com> wrote in message
> > Hello guys !
> >
> > I've just set up Oracle-8.0.5 on a Linux Debian 2.1.
> > During the installation I created an instance 'inst1'.
> >
> > Now I would like to create a new instance. How can I achieve that ?
 And
 how
> > can I switch to the new instance ?
> >

> Basic outline of events is as follows:
>
> 1. Pinch a parameter file from somewhere. A standard template is
 provided
> by Oracle (called init.ora). But you could equally pinch the one
 that is
> used to start your inst1 instance (probably called initinst1.ora).
>
> 2. Edit the new parameter file. At a bare minimum, you need to
 set:
> DB_NAME= NEW1 (or whatever you fancy)
> CONTROL_FILES=path/filename (wherever you want the new control file
 to be
> created)
> REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE= (either EXCLUSIVE, SHARED or NONE,
 depending on
> what authentication you are going to use)
> Comment out any references to ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS since they won't
 exist yet.

> (Use orapwd to create a password file if you are going to be using
 one)

> 3. export ORACLE_SID=NEW1 (or whatever)
>
> 4. Start server manager (ie, 'svrmgrl')
>
> 5. connect as a privileged user (ie, connect / as sysdba if you're
 using
> o/s authentication, or connect sys/oracle as sysdba if password file)
>
> 6. startup nomount pfile=(name and path of the parameter file
 created
> earlier)
>
> 7. Create database NEW1
> logfile group 1 '(path/filename where you want your logs created)'
 size 1M,
> group 2 '(ditto)' size 1M
> datafile '(path/filename where you want your system datafile
 created)' size
> 50M;
>
> 8. Go make a cup of coffee
>
> 9. When the thing finishes, you'll need to run catalog.sql and then
> catproc.sql (scripts found in ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin). They take a
 while
> to run
>
> 10. Done!
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Sam

Probably there needs to be a 9a) between 9 and 10 9a Drink your coffee and make another cup of coffee Actually creating a database shouldn't take that long (especially not so small as you specify) and catalog.sql and catproc.sql are definitely taking longer.

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply