Re: How to create a new instance on Oracle-8.0.5 for Linux ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 09:23:54 +1000

"Samuel Tran" <stran_at_immostreet.com> wrote in message news:xtdn5.721$l95.2307194_at_nnrp2.proxad.net...
> Hello guys !
>
> I've just set up Oracle-8.0.5 on a Linux Debian 2.1.
> During the installation I created an instance 'inst1'.
>
> Now I would like to create a new instance. How can I achieve that ? And
 how
> can I switch to the new instance ?

Basic outline of events is as follows:

  1. Pinch a parameter file from somewhere. A standard template is provided by Oracle (called init.ora). But you could equally pinch the one that is used to start your inst1 instance (probably called initinst1.ora).
  2. Edit the new parameter file. At a bare minimum, you need to set: DB_NAME= NEW1 (or whatever you fancy) CONTROL_FILES=path/filename (wherever you want the new control file to be created) REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE= (either EXCLUSIVE, SHARED or NONE, depending on what authentication you are going to use) Comment out any references to ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS since they won't exist yet.

(Use orapwd to create a password file if you are going to be using one)

3. export ORACLE_SID=NEW1 (or whatever)

4. Start server manager (ie, 'svrmgrl')

5. connect as a privileged user (ie, connect / as sysdba if you're using o/s authentication, or connect sys/oracle as sysdba if password file)

6. startup nomount pfile=(name and path of the parameter file created earlier)

7. Create database NEW1
logfile group 1 '(path/filename where you want your logs created)' size 1M, group 2 '(ditto)' size 1M
datafile '(path/filename where you want your system datafile created)' size 50M;

8. Go make a cup of coffee

9. When the thing finishes, you'll need to run catalog.sql and then catproc.sql (scripts found in ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin). They take a while to run

  1. Done!

Regards
HJR