Re: Multiplexing Datafiles?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:55:42 +1000

"Adrian Shepherd" <theshepherds_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Rt_m5.1087$Vb.28192_at_ozemail.com.au...
> The facts of the matter were never at doubt or argued against, you wrote
 off
> mirroring of datafiles without a second thought.

I told the poster what the facts of the situation were. No write-offs, no judgement calls. Since he also said, and I quote, "I'm just beginning to learn Oracle", I explained WHY Oracle has not seen fit to allow multiplexing of datafiles -that, from the point of view of data protection, it is unnecessary.

> I expressed sensible exception to your reluctance to see the demand for
 such
> an architecture, I never at any point insisted that it could be done or is
> possible, just that it should be available to give people the choice and
> make Oracle (with no mention whatsoever to other RDBM's) more broadly
> suitable to a variety of environments.

And I expressed sensible exasperation at your introducing wish-lists into what was originally a simple question -which was (in case you've forgotten):

QUOTE ON
I know you can stripe tablespaces - but can you mirror them? Perhaps this requires creating two tablespaces and somehow matching them?
QUOTE OFF The subject is closed. Wish on, as much as you like. It ain't gonna happen.
HJR