Re: Oracle Triggers & sequences - Basic Question

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:09:07 GMT

In article <8nhv5k$c2f$1_at_news.mainstreet.net>,   "skj" <skjones_at_nuvation.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a pretty basic problem, but I just can't seem to crack it. I
 am
> simpy creating an auto-increment using a sequence and a trigger. I
 have
> checked & re-checked my syntax and every setting I could think of,
 but I
> keep running into these problems:
>
> First, when I do the create as follows:
>
> Create Trigger trig_TrackID Before Insert on t_Practice
> Begin
> insert into TrackingID Values (TrackingIDSeq.nextval);
> end;
>
> The SQL statement won't end, it requires a / to complete & then gives
 me the
> warning:
>
> Warning: Trigger created with compilation errors.

After you receive the compilation errors message, Typing "show errors" to see why the compilation failed. It could be failing for a number of reasons ranging from syntax errors to the fact that an object referenced in the trigger may be invalid. (in other words make sure your sequence and trackingid tables have been created)

Gavin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Aug 17 2000 - 20:09:07 CDT