Oracle Triggers & sequences - Basic Question

From: skj <skjones_at_nuvation.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:18:42 -0700

Hi,

This is a pretty basic problem, but I just can't seem to crack it. I am simpy creating an auto-increment using a sequence and a trigger. I have checked & re-checked my syntax and every setting I could think of, but I keep running into these problems:

First, when I do the create as follows:

Create Trigger trig_TrackID Before Insert on t_Practice Begin
insert into TrackingID Values (TrackingIDSeq.nextval); end;

The SQL statement won't end, it requires a / to complete & then gives me the warning:

Warning: Trigger created with compilation errors.

I have created the trigger both directly in SQL and used the Oracle Schema manager & it doesn't work.

I have verified the table, the sequence & the syntax both via the manual & other examples on the web, nothing seems to work.

I am seriously beginning to question my oracle environment. I'm using 8i, Rel.8.1.5, if that helps.

I am at my wit's end with this.

Steve Received on Thu Aug 17 2000 - 19:18:42 CDT