Re: NT - Installing Multiple Instances - 8.0.5

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:39:50 +0200

No, that's not Oracle's inability. There is really no problem at all in having multiple instances on one server. However, you won't succeed in running 5 instances with 40G data on 1 single NT server anyway, and that's NT's inability. Actually this is a typical RTFM question, sorry for using the phrase. Just use the database assistant or even oradim80 to create those multiple instances, it will work like a breeze, and yes there will be one Oracle_home, and yes you need to configure sqlnet, and you definitely don't need any multiple listeners or multiple ip-addresses or multiple ports. A manual edit of listener.ora, and tnsnames.ora just duplicating and changing the sid section should do.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

<azraiderfan_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8nhd6l$gtr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Currently our company is having great success using Oracle 8.0.5 on NT.
> We're managing some 40 Gig of data across 5 instances.
>
> The only issue is that in managing those 5 instances, we have 5 NT servers
 do
> to Oracle's inability to support multiple instances on a single server.
 I've
> tried contacting their support without successful implementation, and even
> have been able to create multiple SIDs on a given box - - but the box only
> recognizes the common ORACLE_HOME entries and points to one vs.
 another.....