Re: NT - Installing Multiple Instances - 8.0.5

From: Big Al <db-guru_at_att.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 02:21:43 GMT

Van Messner wrote:

> I assume you are not running parallel server so you have one instance
> mounted to one set of datafiles. You don't need multiple installations of
> Oracle on a server in order to run multiple databases - you just need one
> installation. You can then create as many databases as your machine's
> hardware can support. Each has a different SID and you can start one or
> more of them, connect to one or more of them and stop one or more of them.
> You don't need to have multiple ports, you do need to have entries in your
> tnsnames.ora and listener.ora for each of your databases. The IP address
> will presumably be the same for each database on a single server.
>
> Van

Very true, let me make an addition to your fine reply stated a little differently. The original poster may have erred by trying to perform a complete install for each instance. You only install the Oracle executables once. Then use the instance manager tool (or manually) to create more instances and update the files that were mentioned above. I haven't installed Oracle8 on anything but UNIX, but in Oracle7 there was an instance manager tool on NT. It may have changed names with Oracle8.

Big Al Received on Thu Aug 17 2000 - 21:21:43 CDT