performance benchmarks?

From: <george096_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:11:24 GMT

I'm sorry for this vague question, but what steps to take to ensure database application is running at peak performance level for given hardware. This is hard question. I'll have to read some books. I don't know if you can answer...but perhaps some tips at least or some book to point at.

We run db and application on NT. We are a startup company without funding yet. There is no money to buy equipment.

We will deploy on unix when done and funding arrives. I'm doing tuning of application plus logical and physical database (but not much actual disk config since we don't have equipment here yet). How do I know that I have reached the best level of performance for this hardware? If we get more and better hardware the system will perform better. But that doesn't mean it is tuned to best level.

We have low class machine running db. Are there any easy way to set target goals for optimization based on what this hardware can support? When to stop major tuning/config efforts? How to know it's time to add more harware?

thank you, kindly

george

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 16 2000 - 02:11:24 CDT