Re: performance benchmarks?

From: Brad <vaneps_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:31:48 GMT

In article <8ndeqi$tej$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   george096_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I'm sorry for this vague question, but what steps to take to ensure
> database application is running at peak performance level for given
> hardware. This is hard question. I'll have to read some books. I
> don't know if you can answer...but perhaps some tips at least or some
> book to point at.
>
> We run db and application on NT. We are a startup company without
> funding yet. There is no money to buy equipment.

I highly recommend the Oracle Press book "Oracle8 Tuning", by Corey, Abbey, Dechichio and Abramson, ISBN 0-07-882390-0. Has some good stuff on database configuration as well as some great tuning scripts. It focuses on NT, but is easily applicable for almost everything to Oracle on other OS's as well.

> We will deploy on unix when done and funding arrives.

Why not start on Linux rather than NT? Faster, cheaper, more reliable!

A good start for a PC-based system with IDE drives is use two disks, one on each IDE channel to spread the I/O load. Then spread your tablespaces over the two drives, preferrably splitting data and indexes. Go for *at least* 128Mb RAM for NT - 256Mb is better, but this will depend on the size of and number of users on your database. Once you're up & running, check your cache statistics (particularly DB dictionary & buffer) to optimize your memory usage. Of course there's lots more to look at though ... Have fun!

 Brad van Eps     vaneps_at_my-deja.com

 OS/2 WARPed for REAL power!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 16 2000 - 19:31:48 CDT