Re: Multiplexing Datafiles?

From: Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:21:13 GMT

In article <8n4295$mqp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Rob Jolliffe <rjolliffe_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just beginning to learn Oracle, and I was reviewing some Email
> regarding Raid5 vs Raid0 performance. It seems Raid 0 is
 significantly
> better for performance - but you lose the redundancy of Raid 5 (or
 even
> Raid 1).
>
> I was trying to also determine if in a data tablespace it is possible
> multiplex (mirror) datafiles the same way you can with a Redo log
 group.
> I was totally unable to determine if you are or are not.
>
> Can anyone tell me? I know you can stripe tablespaces - but can you
> mirror them? Perhaps this requires creating two tablespaces and
 somehow
> matching them?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> -Rob

> From the desk of Rob Jolliffe
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I would suggest looking into RAID 0+1. You get the redundancy of RAID-5 and even better performance than raid 0. NEVER DO RAID 5. Unless of course you get paid by the hour :-) and want the DB to run VERY poorly.

Try doing your raid at the hardware level. Software raid (can and usually does) gets in the way and cost you performance.

I have done a lot of posts on this topic and my opinions have nothing but deepened over the years regardless of OS or DASD hardware.

--
Doug Coan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA