Re: moving a "development"database to a "production" server.

From: Sudip Sarkar <sudip_sarkar_at_123india.com>
Date: 2000/08/12

I did the database moving from one hp unix server to another. Follwing is the steps I followed
1) take the statistics of all datafiles, controfiles, logfiles from the V$datafiles table from the database.
2) Shutdown the database
3) Copy the datafiles, logfiles, controlfiles, and init.ora to the destination server. I maintained the same directory structure in the source database. Otherwise if the destination directory structure is different the database has to be loaded in mount mode and then an alter database rename datafile command wil serve yr purpose. 4) If you need to change the name of yr databse then create controlfile command needs to be fired. Be very careful in firing this command. Hope this info helps you out.
Regards
Sudip