Re: Question about IMPORT utility

From: Nancy Labbé <watson95_at_globetrotter.net>
Date: 2000/08/10

When a media failure occurs, you can:

  1. If you want to use OS copy and if the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode:

    restore damaged datafiles and apply the archive log. I all your logs are available, you will not lose any data.

    else

    restore all files. You will lose all changes made since last full backup.

2) If you want to use EXPORT/IMPORT:

    recreate the database and do a full import. You will lose all changes made since last full export.

If you want to use OS copy and IMPORT, you should delete all objects before import. You can also drop some objects and import them after, but usually, the best way to recover a database is to use OS backup or export file but not both in same time.

--

8mu0ld$dch$1_at_unbe.sarenet.es...