newbie.errors on database connection ORA-1157,ORA-01034

From: john.connors <john.connors_at_virgin.net>
Date: 2000/08/07

I am completely new to oracle and there lies alot of my problems. I've loaded the personal edition of 804 on Windows 98 which seemed to be successful. I then attempted to migrate a small access database to Oracle which also seemed to go OK.
I think that I did not shut the database down properly. BIG MISTAKE I THINK. Now I cant get very far at all. Attempts to connect to the database thru Oracle Navigator produce.
"ORA-1157: CANNOT OPEN DATABASE" FOLLOWED BY:

"ORA-01034: ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE"
Is this as fatal as it sounds.
I believe that I need to recover a lost datafile (ref. bboks) but am a frustrated learner and am fearful of making a bad situation worse.
I realise that the problem is perhaps basic and vaguely described, but thats a consequence of my relative ignorance. Apoologies and thanks in advance.

John Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT