Re: 8i/Linux hardware recommendations

From: Willem Dekker <willem-no-spam_at_serc.nl>
Date: 2000/08/06

Answers below
"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3987F96C.4C0B_at_yahoo.com...
> Will Clements wrote:
> >
> > Hi Again,
> >
> > I'm looking 8iEE/Linux hardware recommendations. We plan
> > to run a medium sized database. Don't want to spend to
> > much in the beginning, but need good price/performance.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Will Cl
>
> You get what you pay for...
>
> Gigs of RAM, fast controllers, SCSI et al all make life great (except
> the bank balance)...
>
> As a base, I would never go below 256M for ANY 8.0+ database, and by
> definition, there will be a minimum number of disks you'll just to keep
> your database recoverable eg archives separate from datafiles, possibly
> mirrored etc etc...

To follow up on what Conner said :

I would say the minimum for a production database system for the hardware is are defined by the reliability and storage requirmennts. The this below are not the absolute mininum requirtements for running Oracle, for a development or test database you could do with less, but if the system has to store some valuable database, I would go for the following recommendation :

256 M memory
7 SCSI disks (for spreading the IO load) 1 dual channel SCSI controller
1 tape unit for your backup's
1 UPS Absent from this list is the processor The kind, speed and number of CPU's you need depend very much on the situation and the software your planning to run.

Thus first spend you your budget on the items above, and for the rest of it you can buy your CPU's and maybe some extra memory or disks.

Willem Received on Sun Aug 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT