Re: 8i/Linux hardware recommendations

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/08/02

Will Clements wrote:

> Hi Again,
>
> I'm looking 8iEE/Linux hardware recommendations. We plan
> to run a medium sized database. Don't want to spend to
> much in the beginning, but need good price/performance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will Cl

You get what you pay for...

Gigs of RAM, fast controllers, SCSI et al all make life great (except the bank balance)...

As a base, I would never go below 256M for ANY 8.0+ database, and by definition, there will be a minimum number of disks you'll just to keep your database recoverable eg archives separate from datafiles, possibly mirrored etc etc...

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse