Re: Oracle Parallel Server (OPS) on Sun Cluster

From: Karl M Sola <karl.sola_at_gravityrock.NOSPAM.com>
Date: 2000/08/04

Hi,

I've had a go with SunCluster 2.1 and Oracle 8.0.5 on two 2x300 MHz Ultra-2's. The hartbeat/Oracle Group Membership went via a back-to-back 10Mbit ethernet.

The only thing that caused us problems were the shared disk cabinets. I had two Sun SSA 112 with dual 25 MB ports and about 8 disks in each.

The biggest obstacle was related to setting up raw partitions. Cluster Volume Manager did not come easy to me without documentation...

I can recomend using ethernet as interconnect if availability is your main concern in a two-node cluster. If you need more than two nodes and/or expect high traffic on the interconnect I guess SCI is the way to go.

I expect a couple of E450's with extra Ethernet interfaces come out quite cheap compared to E3500. Since you will be using a shared disk array you could also consider the more sexy rackmount E420R!?!?