Re: Oracle Parallel Server (OPS) on Sun Cluster

From: Joker <joker_at_jokes.r.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:05:37 -0400

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:57:23 -0400, "Samuel P Howard" <sam.howard_at_trcinc.com> wrote:

Sun cluster and Veritas cluster are very similar. The main difference between Sun Clusters using the HA-oracle and OPS will be the failovers.

first, when setting up the cluster for OPS, you have to use CVM (cluster volume manager) which isn't as nice as Versitas Volume manager. A regular cluster using HAoracle can use Veritas or Sun Volume manager (even Disksuite if you want)

During a failover, there will be a momentary hang as processes are switched between the two nodes. In the Sun Cluster using HA-oracle, there can be a sixty second hang while volumes are recovered and mounted, and then the database is opened on the new node. There is an actual loss of communications here, which if you have an app that is not written well, the app will hang when it looses connection. There are several middleware web content apps that I have dealt with that have this problem.

In the OPS situation, since both nodes are active, then there will be no lose of connection. The failover time should be less than a second. 100% uptime can be a good thing.

I will be doing something like this next week. 420R cluster, set up first with HAoracle, and then rebuild it with OPS for the oracle people to test on. No lab space though, so I am going to have a crowded desk.

Later,
Joker