measuring network load

From: Hans-Georg Thien <hg-thienREMOVETHIS_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2000/08/02

Hi,

we are using distributed databases with one master and some site databases connected over a very slow serial link ( 19200 baud ). The site databases do not alter the tables from the master database. All changes are done in the master database. At scheduled times the site databases connect to the master and fetch the changed tables. These tables do rarely seldom change.

The first approach I tried was to use readonly snapshots. This works ok,

but with a very bad performance even if there where no changes made in the masterdatabase tables. I'm wondering now where this very bad performance comes from. A tool or whatever way to measure the network load in "amount of byte" would a great help to tune the network link.

thanks for your help, - hans Received on Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT