Re: table nologging in 8i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/08/02

"Steve Haynes" <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <8m6qe8$v10$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, tedchyn_at_yahoo.com writes
> >steve, thanks for the reply. It is true that deleting is no logged when
> >table is in nologging mode ? what view are you using to monitor redo
> >and undo consumption v$sysstat or v$transaction.
> >thanks again ted
> >
> The table can't be put in nologging mode, that's the point.
> The nologging option applies to the statement you are running.
> It is confusing.

I may be mis-understanding your answer here, Steve, but since the syntax is 'alter table emp nologging', the idea that you can't put a table into no logging mode is incorrect. Once issued, no subsequent DML statements on that table will generate redo, until you explicity issue the 'alter table emp logging' statement.

You can even create an entire tablespace in nologging mode (hence all segments created within the tablespace will not generate redo).

Regards
HJR