Re: table nologging in 8i

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/08/03

In article <3987edb6_at_news.iprimus.com.au>, Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> writes

>I may be mis-understanding your answer here, Steve, but since the syntax is
>'alter table emp nologging', the idea that you can't put a table into no
>logging mode is incorrect. Once issued, no subsequent DML statements on
>that table will generate redo, until you explicity issue the 'alter table
>emp logging' statement.
>
>You can even create an entire tablespace in nologging mode (hence all
>segments created within the tablespace will not generate redo).

Yup, that's exactly what I thought......

Your understanding and expectations are exactly as mine were. However, I continued digging and found that nologging only applies to the statement. ie: create tablespace nologging means exactly that.
It doesn't mean no logging of any activity on this tablespace ever. (Now wouldn't that be nice?, hence my original interest in this feature).

Now, this is where I got to.

I'm not giving this as any kind of proof, and nor am I 100% on it, but I did canvass several respected opinions. I'd love a definitive statement from oracle, but I was unable to get one.

Please tell me different!?.....

This might be one to ask Tom....

Steve Received on Thu Aug 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT