Re: Performance issues

From: Rob Diaz <rdiaz_at_ebudgets.com>
Date: 2000/07/31

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

We are using OCI, not ODBC, as we caught too much flack from our early customers over the use of ODBC. OCI has performed quite well for us.

I guess by asking about protocols, I was wondering if there is some way to configure the Oracle client to negotiate to whatever protocol is available on the network/server (this is possible with MS SQL Server).

Thanks.

--Rob

Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid> wrote in message news:163d06ee.38d5d7eb_at_usw-ex0102-015.remarq.com...
> "Rob Diaz" <rdiaz_at_ebudgets.com> wrote:
> >Hi. I am writing to try to find help with searching for a
 performance
> >problem we are having at a new client. Our product is written
 in C++ using
> >OCI 8 to connect to an Oracle 8 database (.5, I think).
> >
> >Anyway, they are having some REALLY slow performance -- 5
 minutes to open a
> >screen that brings back 20 records from the database. For the
 same screen,
> >on their data, it takes us under 3 seconds. I am unsure of the
 exact
> >details of their situation, but know the server is running
 under UNIX on a
> >sun, they use a Novell backbone and they have NT 4 and Windows
 98
> >workstations.
> >
> >I have asked them to use TCP/IP as their protocol, and they say
 that they
> >are. I don't necessarily believe them, but can't think of a
 way to remotely
> >prove what protocol they are using. I keep thinking it must be
 the protocol
> >because we don't have these problems in our office or at other
 clients.

> >I realize this is vague, but what else can I look for? I think
 I heard that