Re: Performance issues

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/31

"Rob Diaz" <rdiaz_at_ebudgets.com> wrote:
>Hi. I am writing to try to find help with searching for a
 performance
>problem we are having at a new client. Our product is written
 in C++ using
>OCI 8 to connect to an Oracle 8 database (.5, I think).
>
>Anyway, they are having some REALLY slow performance -- 5
 minutes to open a
>screen that brings back 20 records from the database. For the
 same screen,
>on their data, it takes us under 3 seconds. I am unsure of the
 exact
>details of their situation, but know the server is running
 under UNIX on a
>sun, they use a Novell backbone and they have NT 4 and Windows
 98
>workstations.
>
>I have asked them to use TCP/IP as their protocol, and they say
 that they
>are. I don't necessarily believe them, but can't think of a
 way to remotely
>prove what protocol they are using. I keep thinking it must be
 the protocol
>because we don't have these problems in our office or at other
 clients.

>I realize this is vague, but what else can I look for? I think
 I heard that
>you have to do something special on Novell to enable TCP/IP to
 run over
>it -- is this true?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Rob

If the protocol was wrong they would not be able to get a screen at all. You problem is elsewhere.

Whose ODBC drivers are you using? And what version? I have seen an application that ran poorly using Oracle drivers but when the developers switched to MS Oracle ODBC drivers the problem went away. It might be worth a try.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Mon Jul 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT