Database reorg & export/import questions

From: Jim Day <day_at_nettally.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

I am running Oracle 8.0.5 on a Sun 450 running Solaris 2.6. I have 3 instances running (dev, test, prod). Normally, I export our prod database every night and archive that file. I also perform full backups but the exports are very convenient. Then when needed I will take one of the exports and use that to populate the dev or test database. This has been working fine for the past couple of years. Recently we reorganized the prod database by moving many of the components to separate disks (on separate controllers, etc.). Another "tuning" function we performed was to separate the data and the indexes as previously they were in the same tablespace (USERS). Now I have the tablespace USERS on one set of disks and the tablespace INDEXES on another set. All has been well.

Now, I understand that a full export is more or less a bunch of statements to be able to recreate the database objects (create table, etc) and a bunch of insert statements with the associated data....I know that's simplifying things a lot. So, my question: now with the way the prod database is organized, if I want to use one of these "new" exports to populate the dev or test database (both still have the data and indexes in the USERS tablespace) will this work? Will the import try and create its indexes in tablespace INDEXES (even though there is not an INDEXES tablespace) and therefore a) abort with an error or b) create the indexes in the "default" tablespace (which is USERS)?

I plan to "reorganize" the other databases (dev, test) in the near future, but do I need to do this sooner than later to prevent possible problems?

--
Jim Day
day_at_nettally.com