Parsing SQL statements in 8.0.6

From: Volker Hauswurz <volker.hauswurz_at_materna.de>
Date: 2000/07/18

Hi all,

we're using Oracle 8.0.6.0.0 on sun os 5.7. (under reliant unix we have the same problem).

We have big problems because Oracle writes coredumps from time to time. We think there is a parser problem because 'explain plan' doesn't work (in SQL*PLUS we get 'end-of-file on communication channel'). If we use UNION ALL instead of OR it works - in a specificic statement - but we have some thousand statements and we can't change all of them - we don't even have an idea what is 'dangerous' and what isn't. The statement with the problem is very complex (view on view on view...) and reproducing it will be difficult.

We are using table partitioning and we did load test where the problem occured first (> 100.000 rows in some tables). The complex statement shows the right result if we only have 100 rows - it is not a general problem in our statement.

Did/does anyone have similar problems?

We thought of using dbms_stats, but it's part of 8.1. and we can't migrate. Is it possible to use dbms_stats in 8.0.6.? We heard that it is possible but the package body prvtstat.plb has 'internal errors'...

Thanks
Volker Received on Tue Jul 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT