Re: Parsing SQL statements in 8.0.6

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/07/18

Volker Hauswurz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we're using Oracle 8.0.6.0.0 on sun os 5.7. (under reliant unix we have
> the same problem).
>
> We have big problems because Oracle writes coredumps from time to time.
> We think there is a parser problem because 'explain plan' doesn't work
> (in SQL*PLUS we get 'end-of-file on communication channel'). If we use
> UNION ALL instead of OR it works - in a specificic statement - but we
> have some thousand statements and we can't change all of them - we don't
> even have an idea what is 'dangerous' and what isn't. The statement with
> the problem is very complex (view on view on view...) and reproducing it
> will be difficult.
>
> We are using table partitioning and we did load test where the problem
> occured first (> 100.000 rows in some tables). The complex statement
> shows the right result if we only have 100 rows - it is not a general
> problem in our statement.
>
> Did/does anyone have similar problems?
>
> We thought of using dbms_stats, but it's part of 8.1. and we can't
> migrate. Is it possible to use dbms_stats in 8.0.6.? We heard that it is
> possible but the package body prvtstat.plb has 'internal errors'...
>
> Thanks
> Volker

Check your alert logs, if you are getting ORA-7445's or ORA-600's then its probably a bug (and typically a known one)

Then its on the phone to support, and they'll give you either patches or later releases...

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse