Re: Link problems

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/07/14

The first problem is most likely caused because you do not have rights to drop the database link. If a PUBLIC link is created than you'll need to sign on as SYS or SYSTEM to drop the link. The user who created it can not drop it.

The second problem has me stumped for now. I'll get back to you.

HTH,
Brian

kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm experiencing two problems:
>
> I can't drop a link that I created. This is how I created the link:
>
> CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK link1
> CONNECT TO user1 IDENTIFIED BY secret
> USING 'godzilla';
>
> When I try to drop it (as myself, the link creator) I get:
>
> SQL> drop database link link1;
> drop database link link1
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-02024: database link not found
>
> The link belongs to "PUBLIC", is this the problem?

> Second problem:
>
> When I actually try to use the link, I get the following error:
>
> SQL> select * from table1_at_link1;
> select * from table1_at_link1
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
>
> Yes, the tnsnames.ora file is set up with the correct service name and
> the instance and listener is up on the maching I am "linking to".
>
> So what's the problem here? I successfully "linked up" two other Oracle
> databases this morning, no problem! But this one just doesn't work.
>
> Thanx
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Brian Peasland