Link problems

From: <kal121_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/13

I'm experiencing two problems:

I can't drop a link that I created. This is how I created the link:

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK link1
CONNECT TO user1 IDENTIFIED BY secret
USING 'godzilla';

When I try to drop it (as myself, the link creator) I get:

SQL> drop database link link1;
drop database link link1

                   *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02024: database link not found

The link belongs to "PUBLIC", is this the problem?

Second problem:

When I actually try to use the link, I get the following error:

SQL> select * from table1_at_link1;
select * from table1_at_link1

                      *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

Yes, the tnsnames.ora file is set up with the correct service name and the instance and listener is up on the maching I am "linking to".

So what's the problem here? I successfully "linked up" two other Oracle databases this morning, no problem! But this one just doesn't work.

Thanx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jul 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT