Re: shutdown in svrmgrl is hanging

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2000/07/14

TJI I have had a similar problem on one of my servers. We ordinarily do a shutdown abort/startup/shutdown cycle (ignores the users, etc.) A while back we had to do just the abort.

The reason has to do with the rollbacks and transaction logs. The database was not coming down, even with no users other than the one svrmgrl. (Actually, it was NT, so svrmgr30.)

Oracle told us that there are clean up operations that can also occur on shutdown that can take a while on a heavily used system. We now have to do 'therapeutic shutdowns' periodically (keep the users off, do a shutdown normal and let it just run to the end.) It has taken up to 17 hours (!!!!!) to finally come down. (This is on a 150GB NT 8.0.5 db.)

You might consider a therapeutic shutdown if your users will give you a window.

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/