Re: Is using views always slower than using base tables?

From: Yong <yong321NOyoSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/07

Thank you, Gary. I'm very interested in your cited reference. Could you tell me where I can find it?

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

"Gary Healy (Powerup)" <ghealy_at_powerup.com.au> wrote:
>Views have proved to be slower in 8.0.6 when joining to base
 tables that
>when used in 7.3.4. The execution plan from 7 -> 8 is way
 different.
><yong321_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8k2p93
 $eqv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
>> Is using views always slower than using base tables, at least
>> theoretically? My developers ask me to create views for them.
 I told
>> them views are used for two purposes: for convenience so that
 you don't
>> have to remember or type in all the base tables and their
 column names;
>> for security so as to hide some column or table names. My
 developers
>> are not end users. They don't need the convenience and they
 should be
>> allowed full select privilege on base tables. For performance
 reason,
>> views are always slower than or indistinguishably the same as
 using
>> base tables. Is this correct?
>>
>> Yong Huang
>> yong321_at_yahoo.com

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Fri Jul 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT