Re: becoming an oracle dba....pls advise

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/03

In article <8jpefq$t2$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   budanoff_at_mailcity.com wrote:
> In article <YrJ75.27037$A%3.307313_at_news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,
> "JC" <justinc32_at_home.com> wrote:
> > Hello folks, I have a general question.
> >
> > 5 months ago I didnt know much about Oracle. Since then I have been
 forced
> > to do some install/database setups. I have learned this type of
 stuff:

> > - components of the sga and how to control them
> > - SQLNET stuff...lots to learn yet though
> > - instance creation,db creation, basic partitioning
> > - most of the init params...but again, more to learn.
> > - effects of I/O
> >
> > in a nutshell I am off to a good start. Right now I support an app
 that
> > uses Oracle. What do I need to do to actual be a real dba? I know
 am not
> > qualified at this point, trust me I HATE paper people (I have an
 mcse
 but am
> > not proud of it).
> >
> > I figure I should start as a junior dba? Do companies hire for
 that?
 What
> > can I do to get there? Right now my main focus is learning more
 about
> > SQL/PLSQL and setups on Solaris, NT sux.
> >
> > THANKS!!!
> >
> > JC
> >
> > --
> > Justin Cirelli
> >

> The duties of Oracle DBA are quite spread. I can recommend you paid
> special attention to backup/restore procedures and performance tuning.
> If you'll work in tight contact with AppDevelopers, you should
> understand all aspects of the DB objects(tables,triggers,etc.)
 creation,
> so you sould be 'SQL-fluent'.
> Hope this help,
> ivan_at_volmed.org.ru

I do not think there is any real shortage of experienced Oracle DBA's running around. Half the places that are looking for a DBA are actually looking for a developer/DBA where the majority of your time is dedicated to development work. Because after you do the install and set up the backup jobs they want you working on developemnt. So the advice to be SQL fluent is good. It would also be beneficial to you to have some modeling/design knowledge such as basic ERD theory and maybe knowledge of UML.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.