Re: becoming an oracle dba....pls advise

From: <ddf_dba_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/03

In article <YrJ75.27037$A%3.307313_at_news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,   "JC" <justinc32_at_home.com> wrote:
> Hello folks, I have a general question.
>
> 5 months ago I didnt know much about Oracle. Since then I have been
 forced
> to do some install/database setups. I have learned this type of
 stuff:

> - components of the sga and how to control them
> - SQLNET stuff...lots to learn yet though
> - instance creation,db creation, basic partitioning
> - most of the init params...but again, more to learn.
> - effects of I/O
>
> in a nutshell I am off to a good start. Right now I support an app
 that
> uses Oracle. What do I need to do to actual be a real dba? I know I
 am not
> qualified at this point, trust me I HATE paper people (I have an mcse
 but am
> not proud of it).
>
> I figure I should start as a junior dba? Do companies hire for that?
 What
> can I do to get there? Right now my main focus is learning more about
> SQL/PLSQL and setups on Solaris, NT sux.
>
> THANKS!!!
>
> JC
>
> --
> Justin Cirelli

I would get very familiar with SQL*Plus and PL/SQL, two "tools of the trade" that every DBA needs to know quite well. Also become quite adept at backup and recovery procedures and scenarios, knowing which procedure will apply for a given situation -- repairing or replacing a corrupt table, restoring a complete database, etc. Also be informed on running an instance in archive log mode; there are benefits and pitfalls and you should know them. There is quite a great deal to know as a DBA; you've started well, keep up the good work.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/