Re: how to set SYSDATE to return GMT

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: 2000/07/02

Evgenii,

I just succesfully tried doing this with Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux, but I expect the results to be the same for 8.1.5.

If you set the TZ variable to "GMT" before starting the Oracle TNS-Listener, all incoming connections will work with an Oracle Server Shadow Process that
'thinks' in GMT, without affecting any other part of the
system. The Listener Logfile will also be in GMT because the whole process is 'thinking' in GMT.

So, use:

        env TZ=GMT lsnrctl start
to start the listener.

This assumes you are using SQL*Net/Net80 for all clients.

Also for MTS you probably need to set TZ when the server is is started (something like 'env TZ=GMT dbstart' or
'env TZ=GMT svrmgrl'). I didn't test that.

In general you need to set the TZ variable for the Shadow Processes, just be careful to look how these are started with your installation.

Erwin

--
Erwin Dondorp
<http://www.dondorp.com/>