Re: Oracle 8.1.6 mmap problem (ld error)

From: <dthacher_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/30

Check for write permission for oracle user account in directory specified by TMPDIR env var. The doc mentions permissions, but I missed it!

I was getting make errors repeatedly while installing 8.1.5 on Solaris 8/Intel. I checked and re-checked my kernel mods, new groups and the oracle user account, environment variables, etc.

Finally by poring through the make log file I found an unreported problem with writing to my TMPDIR directory. Per the installation instructions I had set TMPDIR pointing to a filesystem with lots of space on it. But I didn't think to check that the "oracle" user account could write to that directory! So I added write permission to my TMPDIR directory and I am just now finally getting past the make stage successfully. Hooray!

Hope this helps,
Darrell

In article <8ive89$nsm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   fly13_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi Rich,
> Thanks you for your help!
>
> First I've tried to modify the value twice yet and reboot each time.
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
> set semsys:seminfo_semmni=140
> set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=110
> set semsys:seminfo_semmns=210
> set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
> set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767
>
> But i've always the same error when it does the linking.
> Moreover, when i execute the command ipcs -rm, there is no memory
> segment owned by oracle.
>
> What do you think all about that all?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ben
>
> In article <8itdfn$8on$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> ford1_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > I would look at the following:
> > 1) System is rebooted after /etc/system is modified.
> > 2) run ipcs -mb and look at the shared memory segments owned by
 oracle.
> > 3) Check free disk space on filesystem where Oracle binaries are
> > installed.
> >
> > This seems to me like a shared memory problem so I would re-check
 the
> > values you set for shared memory in /etc/system and determine that
 they
> > are correct.
> >
> > Rich Ford.
> >
> > In article <8itbn8$79q$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > fly13_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris,
> > > and i ever modify the /etc/system file to set
> > > shared memory parameters.
> > > But a the end of the installation, when it is
> > > doing the link this message error appears :
> > > Error in invoking target ioracle of makefile
> > > ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
> > >
> > > If i go further i can see that the error come
> > > from an 'ld' command (in the make.log file)
> > > ld: fatal: file /dev/zero: cannot mmap file :
> > > Device temporarily unavailable.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help me, please?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Ben
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT