Error: Error while trying to retrive text for error

From: <sambavan_at_motown.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: 2000/06/29

I installed this oracle8i client on a sun solaris machine. I am getting this error when I open the sqlplus and if I were to miss type the password or user name, it gives me the error as stated above with the ORA#. How could I fix this.

Some help would be really apreciated.
-Sam

                 Experience is not what happens to a man, it's
                 what a man does with what happens to him.
                                              -- ALDOUS HUXLEY