Re: Oracle problem on Red Hat Linux 6.1

From: <ddf_dba_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/26

> > ***** Is there anyone who can shed some light on this? I cannot
 believe
> > that no one else has experienced this before. *****
>
> Ah - I thought I'd seen this before.
>
> Because the $ORACLE_HOME/oracle binary is setuid oracle, for security
 the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH that's set in the environment before it is run is
 ignored by
> a "normal" user other than Oracle - this happens on solaris, I'm
 presuming
> Linux behaves similarly. Otherwise it would be trivial to persuade the
> system to execute arbitrary code as the oracle user. Ie, the path to
 the
> libskgxp8.so (and other) libraries linked into the oracle executable
 is used
> in preference to any value you set in LD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime.
>
> So, if you've renamed the /oracle/product/8.1.6 (or whatever)
 directory
> since you first installed and linked the software, or Something
 Strange
> happened during linking, then the load of the libraries by the shadow
> process will fail. If you were to run a truss -f of sqlplus
 doodah/whatnot,
> and you should see the forked-off shadow process trying and failing to
 open
> the libskgxp8.so file.
>
> To confirm this do:
>
> ldd ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
>
> and I expect you will see something like
>
> libskgxp8.so => (file not found)
> libwtc8.so => /oracle/product/8.1.6/lib/libwtc8.so
> libjox8.so => /oracle/product/8.1.6/lib/libjox8.so
> [...]
>
> Ie, the system is following the linked-in search path (which can be
 show
> using "ldd -s" on solaris - ldd on RH6.1 doesn't appeared to have this
> option).
>
> I believe you don't encounter the same problem with remote connections
 via
> the listener because the listener is already running as oracle, so the
> system trusts the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. Not sure whether this
 rationale
> is correct or not, but it has the right flavour.
>
> The solution when I had I this problem was to relink the executable
 with
> your new ORACLE_HOME. That's something like:
>
> make -f $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk default
>
> We often just pick the rdbms software up between our Solaris boxes
 and, if
> we transfer the software to a different /oracle/product directory on
 the
> destination machine, things can get very confusing...
>
> HTH,
>
> -michael E

Having been just informed that someone attempted to install WebDB and did it incorrectly certainly gave me pause. I have since re-installed the software under a new ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME and still suffer from the same malady; 'oracle' can connect via SQL*Plus locally, but no one else can. Apparently this is a problem unique to Linux ( a far different variant of UNIX, to be sure ).

If anyone has experienced this on a Linux box, and has a resolution, I would be extremely grateful for the assistance.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/