Re: Oracle problem on Red Hat Linux 6.1

From: <ddf_dba_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/20

In article <yIM35.1364$tz6.76312012_at_news1.van.metronet.ca>,   "Dennis Edward" <temp061900_at_ipipeline.net> wrote:
> check $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle using "ls -l". Is the group execute bit
 set?
> It should be. And ownership should normally be "oracle:dba".

The owner, group and permissions on the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle file should be:

-rwsr-xr-x oracle dba

They are; if they weren't I would get an "ORACLE not available" error. I don't. This is an initial installation of Oracle on Linux. I have 12 years experience installing and administering Oracle on UNIX and I've not seen this problem before. I am seeing it now on Linux and I am not certain why. The environment is set for every user wanting to access the database so that is not an issue. Something else is happening, and I'd like to find out what. If anyone has had any experience with this error on Linux let me know what is happening and how to correct it.

> Did you perhaps try something like tar'ing the directory tree back as
> oracle?

No, and I wouldn't try that, either.

> > This is an interesting problem that I hope someone can help with.
 As
> > the 'oracle' system user I can invoke SQL*Plus and everything runs
 as
> > expected. However, when I connect to the system as any other user
 and
> > attempt to run SQL*Plus the following message is generated:
> >
> > oraclePROTIME: error in loading shared libraries: libskgxp8.so:
 cannot