Re: Oracle problem on Red Hat Linux 6.1

From: Dennis Edward <temp061900_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 2000/06/20

> They are; if they weren't I would get an "ORACLE not available" error.
> I don't. This is an initial installation of Oracle on Linux.

I think that it's a good working hypothesis that the problem is permissions-related. Things that come to mind are:

  1. Setgid problem (already dismissed)
  2. permissions on required files (libraries)
  3. permissions on directories (x vs r especially)

I suppose there's also a possibility that the env vars (like LD_LIBRARY_PATH) are set slightly differently for oracle and not-oracle; but I seem to remember you dismissed that idea as well. Just for reference, here's my permissions on the lib in question and the containing directory. Maybe it'll help - or ring a bell.

[oracle_at_snuffy lib]> ls -l libskg*

-rw-r--r--   1 oracle   dba          4847 Jun 14  1999 libskgxp8.so
-rw-r--r--   1 oracle   dba          4847 Jun 10  1999 libskgxpd.so
[oracle_at_snuffy lib]> ls -ld .
drwxr-x--x   2 oracle   dba          2048 Aug 19  1999 .
[oracle_at_snuffy lib]> Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT