Re: Strange SQL*Net8 Problem

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 2000/06/13

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:33:13 -0400, "David C. Hicks" <dhicks_at_machturtle.com> wrote:

>I was unable to get the 'netca' program to run...it simply exits without
>doing anything.

Net8 Assistant is sometimes picky about the arrangement of the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files. I've experienced the behaviour you are describing several times, and it's always come about as the result of manual modifications. Try renaming sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora, and then run netca. If the assistant runs, then you can copy entries one at a time from your renamed files into your new files. Restart netca each time. Eventually, you'll find the entry that makes netca break. Alternatively, just recreate everything using netca.

>However, when I run SQL*Plus and try to
>use the TNS parameter instead of an IPC connection I get a 1034: Oracle
>Not Available error. Connecting via regular IPC works fine though with
>SQL*Plus.

I'm not sure I can help with this problem. Are you certain that you have your tnsname.ora entry defined correctly?

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Tue Jun 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT