Re: The cardinality of tablespace and datafile

From: Andreas Stephan <nospam.as.stedat_at_gmx.net>
Date: 2000/06/07

Hi Chuan,

here are some rules I use when I install a database:

  1. never put rollback segment tablespace on a drive containig data (table) or index tablespaces
  2. never put data and index tablespaces on the same drive if they interact
  3. use a max of 2Gig Datafiles to keep maintenance simpler and to avoid unnecessary recovery time (it is easier and quicker to recover one 2 Gig Datafile than one of 20 Gig). You can transport a 2 Gig Datafile on an old dat tape but with 20 Gigs?? And copying from tape to disk or over the lan will not cause any problems if you have only 2 Gig Datafiles.
  4. try to use partitioned tablespaces if possible. Split the data onto the partitions. Each partition should reside on a separate drive to maximize performance

putting datafile on different drives will only help if you have more than one tablespace and your objects are
well separated onto these tablespaces (index objects in index tablespaces, tables in data tablespaces, tables that
are often joined moved into separate tablespaces on separate disks or implemented using clusters etc..)

hth
Andy