Re: info. on Oracle 8.05 partitioning

From: Bon-Minh Lam <310064202272#0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2000/06/07

I have created partitioned tables to store records generated periodically in a DSS, let's say once per month. To make things easier, I derived from the date column a column of type number(6) that just contains the year and month, let say today's date would be equivalent to the number 200006. This column that I name YM_VALUE was made the partitioning key. Even if I only use one tablespace for multiple partitions, queries on those tables are much faster than if they were not partitioned since most of my queries contain YM_VALUE in the WHERE clause.

You might say an index on YM_VALUE would be as efficient, but the point is that in my case there need not be any space wasted on index at all. Received on Wed Jun 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT