Re: Parallel Server & Standby Database

From: I hate Spam <tbf_at_nospam.stam.dk>
Date: 2000/06/05

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 02:46:40 +0100, DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com> wrote:

>I think a standby database is a more elegant solution.
>
>With 8i (maybe only Release 2 though - need to check) - you can even
>automate the application of redo logs from the main server.

The automatic maintenance of a standby server is only available with the enterprise edition, but it is actually quite simple to have the same funtionality provided by an external program. I have written such a program in Delphi, which takes care of switching logfiles, copying archivals, updating the standby database and deleting (both on main and standby server) archivals more than x days old provided the update is successful. A rather easy task and a little more functional than the Oracle maintained standby.

And knowing that we at worst will loose only 15 minutes of input data (time between logfile switches - can of course be altered), and the standby can be up in a couple of minutes (even with a fire in the other server room) is quite assuring.
Yours Hans Erik Busk
tbf_at_cn.stam.dk Received on Mon Jun 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT