character set utf

From: Martin Doering <doeringm_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2000/05/30

Hi!

While installing Oracle 8.1.6 on our HP-UX system the Installer is asking for

Character Set
National Character Set

What is the difference between them - till now we had just one character set.

We eventually want to store Turkish, German, Polish, Russian characters.

In our old Installation we had

WE8ISO8859P9 choosen. Would it be an good idea to switch to Unidcode UTF-8? How does this influence our applications? We are running Tuxedo. Are there any further resources about Oracle/Unicode?

As far as I understand switching to unicode would allow to store ALL characters in the database. So we would never have a problem again - am I right?

Martin Received on Tue May 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT