12 GB Database Export

From: Axel Stahl <stahl_at_pdg-online.de>
Date: 2000/05/30

Hello,

I need to export a 12 GB Database from a Novell 3.12 / Oracle 7.2 Server to a NT Oracle 8.1 Database.

I will have to export the DB from the Novell-Server over the network to another computer's harddisk because there is no possibility to add harddisk to the Novell server.
I testet the export with a commandline utility (exp72.exe) which does the export.
This testexport was done with a small DB (some Megabytes) to a win95 client and it worked well.
Then I tested the big database to export this way but ater 2 GB's of exporting to a dumpfile on the win95 client there came an error message (error reading file blabla...) I supposed that is because of the win95-filesystem (Fat32 - I thought must make at least 4 GB to one file) so now I'd like to try it with NT wrkst. with NTFS filesystem.
But before I do this I'd like to ask You if You think that this will work, I have concerns because the old exp72 utility seems to be a 16bit Programm and I don't know if it can handle over 2 GB of one file.
Second is if there are problems doing this with a IDE/EIDE Harddisk (new harddisk, 15 GB capacitiy).

It would be very kind if you could give me some hint(s).

Thank You,

Axel Received on Tue May 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT