Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle vs DB2 (&Sybase too)

From: Julio <julio234_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/05/26

when MSSQL chocks on the demand, becomes unstable, or when the INTEL box you have just can't keep up and you need an unix solution, tell your boss how picking MSSQL was a 'no-brainer'

Each DBMS has its place, for a smallish organization or department using Intel PCs then MSSQL has serious advantages

However for running large groups or if scalability, multiple platform support (like being able to run on 80 different systems), and stability are key then ORACLE beats MSSQL on almost every point.

Some people mentioned how MSSQL beat Oracle in # of transactions. However put Oracle on a SUN Enterprise server with 12 CPUS and 4 gigs of RAM, 2 tetrabytes (like our system) or how about an IBM S/390 with 32 CPUS, 32 gigs of RAM and 6 tetrabtes of DASD (our mainframe system which runs oracle) and then lets see MSSQL performance compared to that?

Just shows the point that Oracle and MSSQL are best fits for different markets. However, Oracle on NT has been making major strides and should be a strong competitor or MSSQL