Re: Why is is that people post before looking stuff up in the manual !!!

From: GC <assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/05/25

Richard wrote:

> I just subscribed to this list again - and while there do appear to be many
> valid questions here, it appears that some people post in preference to even
> a basic check of the Oracle manual/references.

Yep, quite possibly due to inertia. RTFMing is 'just too hard', so many people come here for a quick fix. They post, and wait for others to do the legwork (wasn't there a post recently asking for others to basically write them a back-up script?). If you don't like reading, sure beats going through the manuals or *gasp* perhaps even searching deja for the answer to a question that has been asked a million times (how do I create a second instance on enn-tee?).

<elitist>
I've noticed this getting worse as times goes on, both here and at $PLACE_OF_EMPLOYMENT. Many people coming into IT simply because it pays well. Then not bothering to learn anything and expecting big paychecks to go along with their surliness and cluelessness (I don't mind, in fact often enjoy, working with people who don't know a lot but want to learn. I can't stand working with people who cannot accept a clue even if it's nailed onto their forehead).
</elitist>

Personally, I find this newsgroup to be an invaluable resource, but try to only ask questions if I have exhausted all my other options.

Cheers,
GC Received on Thu May 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT